Looking for a rare and unique cultural experience? Terrace Hill has a variety of volunteer opportunities.
Terrace Hill is one of Iowa’s most impressive historic sites. Donated to the State of Iowa in 1971 by the family of F.M. Hubbell to be the official home of Iowa’s Governors, Terrace Hill is also a National Historic Landmark that offers public tours and hosts special events.
Volunteer Opportunities Include:
- Tour Guides: Tours are offered between March and December- 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays. Shifts run from 9:45 a.m. until approximately 2:30 p.m. Tour guides work with adults and children, walk-in tours and group tours. Tour group sizes range from 1 to 60 with a guide taking no more than about 25-30 people per tour. Additionally, guides are needed to staff special events during evenings and weekends. Tour guides must enjoy working with people of all ages, have good public speaking skills and a passion for learning and sharing the history of Terrace Hill.
- Desk/Gift Shop: Front desk volunteers greet visitors to Terrace Hill. They run the cash register, collect entrance fees, track visitor numbers, alert guides when groups arrive and serve as a welcoming presence. These volunteers also assist guests in the Terrace Hill Gift Shop. Shifts currently run from 9:45 a.m. until 2:30 p.m., Tuesdays through Saturdays between March and December. Gift shop hours and days may vary for special events.
- Gardeners: Volunteers are utilized throughout the spring/summer to plant, weed and maintain the gardens. Times and hours vary.
- Kitchen/Special Event Helpers: Volunteers are needed to assist with dinners, receptions, Terrace Hill Teas and/or other special events. Volunteers will help the Terrace Hill Chef with food preparation, serving, set-up and clean-up of dinners and receptions. Kitchen prep shifts usually run from 9:30 am until 2:30 pm on weekdays; event serving shifts usually run from 4:30 until 8:30 pm on weeknights.
- For more information on how you can join our amazing volunteer team, contact our office: 515-281-7205, firstname.lastname@example.org or apply online.